Sunday, August 2, 2009

Girl's Only Weekend on a Budget


I had the privilege to spend last weekend with some amazing girlfriends for a girl's only weekend. We initially planned to go to Southern California, but after finding some amazing deals at a local hotel, it worked to our advantage to stay here in Scottsdale. We found an amazing deal thru travelzoo and stayed at the Millenium Scottsdale. They are offering a screaming deal: the room was $99 and you received a food/beverage credit of $99, so basically we stayed for free and ate & drank really well all weekend! Because there were 4 of us, we split the room charges and had a wonderful relaxing weekend for about $75! Much cheaper than it would have cost us to drive to California.

TravelZoo is a great website to find the best travel deals each week and we have taken advantage of several of their last minute deals. I subscribe to their weekly email newsletter, and you can do the same here! They often have great last minute deals on show tickets as well if you are looking for that.

Another website I use when I'm going to use priceline for rental cars or hotels is BiddingForTravel.com. At first, Priceline was really scary to me because I didn't have a clue where to begin my bidding and I didn't like not knowing where I would stay. But after thoroughly reading the posts on biddingfortravel, I felt much more informed and have had great experience successfully bidding several times. The website is great because it lists others' experiences of how much they bid so that I have an idea of what to expect to pay for my hotel. It takes some reading to really understand but I am so grateful for the resource for the times I have used it. My first experience using it, I ended up at the famous Waldorf-Astoria in New York City for $120 a night in November. If only I had been there with my husband, it would have been perfect!

We also used Restaurant.com to purchas gift certificates when they were 80% off. Our $25 gift cert cost only $2 so our dinner at My Big Fat Greek Restaurant was tasty and inexpensive!

I hope this has given you some tips of how to plan inexpensive getaway weekends with friends or family. We all need a chance to get away and re-energize occasionally, so when we can do it spending the least amount of money, everyone is happy!

Now it's your turn, let me know about your money saving travel trips!

No comments: