Friday, October 7, 2011

A True California Girl at Heart

I was born in Southern California.  I only lived there for a few years before my family moved to Colorado so unfortunately, I don't have very many memories of living there or spending many of my early days playing and taking naps on the beach.  However, every time I get the chance to visit California, it becomes very apparent that I am truly a California Girl at heart. 

I love almost everything about California with the exception of the ridiculous price of gas, the horrible freeways (I think whoever designed that crazy system must have been on drugs), and what the humidity does to my hair.  I love the smell of the ocean, the cool mornings and evenings, watching the sun set over the water, people-watching on the boardwalk, watching kids play on the beach with disregard to the sand that covers every crevice of their body, wearing a wide brim hat and big sunglasses, walking on sand barefoot and feeling the calluses on my feet soften, getting just the tips of my toes wet before running back up shore, and so many other things.  I feel so at home at the beach and hate packing up at the end of the day, especially at the end of vacation. 

I am so thankful that we live a short 6 hours from San Diego, one of the best beach towns in the country, and that we have amazing relatives there who let us invade their home.  I am thankful that I have a husband who's job offers so much flexibility for our family to travel during off peak times to enjoy.  I am thankful that we get to travel at times with our parents and in-laws who make vacationing with small children so much more enjoyable and manageable.  I love vacations to California and I am thankful that we get to take them. 

Last week, we had the chance to do just that.  We went to California with my mom and stayed with our extremely hospitable relatives in San Diego whose home makes me feel like I am in Tuscany with an ocean view.  It's so relaxing and enjoyable and feels like the most luxurious accommodations available only a short drive from the beach.  The only thing better than staying with them would be staying right on the boardwalk, but I'm not sure even that would really be as good as we have it. 

We spent most of our days at the beach but we also visited a few parks, explored a pumpkin patch, spent some quality time with our cousins and their daughter and new son that we met for the first time, ate yummy seafood, and mom and I took in just enough shopping to make the hubby really wish he had dropped us off and left to find some surfing lessons.  Maybe next time babe!  We also tried to take our Christmas photo which was a pretty humorous experience.  I'll leave you with a few that definitely didn't work out!

Enjoy some of our favorite things from our vacation! 


















No comments: