Monday, May 3, 2010

My Grocery Savings: Safeway & Fry's

This week, I actually had the chance to hit the grocery stores several days before the ad changes!  To be honest I've been in a bit of a coupon rut recently.  I had zero desire to cut and organize my inserts and my stack had grown to about 5 inches.  Yikes.  It's okay to go through these times because when I actually got back in the game, I was reminded of how much money I could save.  This is totally normal, especially if you're someone that has been couponing for a long time.  If this is you, don't beat yourself up about it, just decide to start over and do what you can.  (And if you have a stack of inserts that is too high to tackle, I'm giving you permission to just toss them and start new next week.  You probably won't miss much that you can't live without and if there is something you really want, simply order them thru The Coupon Clippers.)

There are tons of websites that do grocery coupon match-ups, but one of my favorites is Pinching Your Pennies.  They offer grocery lists for hundreds of stores across several states so I'm sure you will find the store you are looking for!  I always check their Fry's & Safeway lists before I head to the store.

My first stop was Safeway.  After coupons, my total out of pocket was only $11.81.  Using coupons saved me $9 and using their store card saved me $36.  Safeway has been offering some great deals lately and I've noticed many of their prices have dropped significantly, so I may start stopping there weekly.


Next I stopped at Fry's.  My total out of pocket was $19.71 and I saved $19 using manu coupons - pretty good day at the grocery store for me!  They are currently making all coupons worth $1.  I found the Activia 8 pk marked down as a mgr special for $2 and the Del Monte peaches were marked down to $1.  I had a few $1 off coupons from VocalPoint for the peaches and several $0.30/1 coupons from the 3/28 SmartSource insert for the greek yogurt to get these for free.  These are hubby's new favorite with all their protein!  I smell some yummy fruit salad coming!

No comments: