Sunday, August 30, 2009

How do I save money with coupons?


In case you missed it, the podcast I recorded for HomeMakers By Choice on Coupon Savings was such a blessing to me and to many others. I strongly suggest you listen to the podcast to get all the information, but if you're not able to do so, here are the main points:

1. It's a lifestyle. Always have a general awareness of current sales/promotions so that when a need comes up, you know where to get the best deals. Know what restaurants offer free kids meals, know what grocery store has milk on sale that week, know what retailer has kids shoes on sale, etc. The more aware you are the more money you'll be able to save on things you need.

2. Use loyalty cards. Most stores have a loyalty card that saves you additional money for participating. Sign up for these as most send coupons and offer special promotions for card holders. My favorite store to offer a loyalty program is CVS. They offer significant savings with their Extra Care Bucks program and the savings here have stretched our budget and allowed us to give so much to Neighborhood Ministries!

3. Stock up when sales are good. I have several cupboards in my house that are dedicated for our stockpile. Things like toilet paper, kleenex, toothpaste, razors, deodorant, shampoo, lotions, etc, are ready when they get used up and I'm able to take full bags to Neighborhood Ministries. Because I have multiple inserts, when an item becomes free or close to it, I'm able to purchase several of that item. By shopping this way, I don't have to pay full price for an item when we run out because I've planned ahead and stocked up. The same applies to groceries but be sure to look at "sell by dates." As the dates draw closer, it's time to take a box to your local shelter!

4. Utilize dining coupons. This is one of my favorite ways to save because the dollars saved add up so quickly! We use Restaurant.com primarily because of the awesome 80% off sales that are offered almost monthly. We also have an Entertainment Book and I keep other dining coupons in my purse so that anytime we need to grab dinner out, I'm prepared with my coupons rather than leaving them on my kitchen counter (although this has happened many times).

5. Know the resources available to save you money. It's amazing to me how many places and websites we can visit to save money on things. Items like oil changes, toiletries, photo prints, groceries, hair cuts, etc, all have coupons that you can find both on-line and in the mail. For example, I always check the junk mail magazines that comes in the mail because I've found great coupons. If we want to go to a particular restaurant and I don't have a coupon for it, I'll do a quick google search for "printable XXX restaurant coupon." Nine times out of ten there is some offer available that will save us money. It's great to know that if I need a coupon for something, chances are with the technology today we can find savings.

There are tons of other tips that I go into more details on the podcast, but I would love to hear what tips you have. Please share them by leaving a comment!

1 comment:

acamprol said...

Thank you for your guidance and support.Thank you for providing such a valuable information.